The Public Law and Local Government Group is long established and highly respected for its expertise and commitment to local government work. Clients value the Group’s knowledge, efficiency and client friendliness at all levels of call.
Our clients include central and local government, public bodies including the fire and police services, regulatory bodies, health trusts and individual claimants.
Members are regularly instructed in the following areas:
- Anti-Social Behaviour
- Asylum and Immigration
- Childrens’ Rights
- Community Care & Social Services
- Court of Protection
- Human Rights
- Prison Law and Prisoners’ rights
Our expertise includes:
- Anti-social behaviour orders and injunctions
- Asylum and immigration
- Children and adoption
- Community care and social services
- Court of Protection
- Data protection, disclosure and privacy
- Elections and governance
- Employment by public authorities
- European Union
- Human rights and civil liberties
- Housing including housing associations
- Judicial Review
- Local government
- Immigration and asylum
- Mental health
- Professional discipline
- Prison Law
- Public authority contracts
- Public interest immunity
- Public inquiries
Field Court is uniquely placed to be a one stop shop for local authorities. We are on the approved panels for over two-thirds of London authorities including the “West London Alliance”, the “Croydon 10” in respect of Public Law, Child Protection, Civil Litigation, Community Care, Corporate Governance, Employment and Housing. The Set is also on the approved panel for the “North West Legal Consortium” which comprises 22 public authorities in the North West of England in respect of Administrative, Community Care, Civil Litigation, Corporate Governance and Mental Health.
Our multi- practice strength means that the Public Law and Local Government team can access expertise of colleagues in our other established groups such as family, property, court of protection, employment, personal injury and mediation in more complex cases. Many individual members’ practices straddle these divisions in any event.
The Public Law and Local Government Group is regularly sought after for its expert CPD-accredited training, workshops and seminar programmes. Members can also deliver bespoke in-house training to law firms, local authorities and other professional bodies on request. For further details please contact seminars.
- R (on the application of MNA) v London Borough of Croydon (AAJR)  UKUT 00326 (IAC) – Age assessment of a minor unsure of date of birth.
- R (on the application of W) v Croydon London Borough Council and another  All ER (D) 65 (Apr) – Immigration, asylum sought by a child.
- R (K) and others v Birmingham City Council EWCA 2012 Civ 1432, 2012 All ER (D) 74 (Nov)– Decision of the Court of Appeal concerning assessment of age and other related issues.
- XCC v AA and others 2012 All ER (D) 38 August – Decision of the Court of Protection heard in the High Court concerning basis on which court should make declaration of non-recognition of marriage.
- R (on the application of TS) v Croydon London Borough Council  EWHC 2389 (Admin) – Asylum seeker claiming to be child – Defendant local authority determining asylum seeker’s age.
- HA v LB Hillingdon and another 2012 EWHC 291 (Admin) – Decision of the Administrative Court concerning responsible authority.
- R (Sunderland CC) v South Tyneside C  EWCA Civ – Meaning of ‘resident’ in section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983.
- R (AE) v LB Croydon  EWCA Civ 547 – Age assessment.
- R (AS) v LB Ealing  EWHC 356 – Age assessment.
- K v LBX  EWCA Civ 79 – Best interests in the Court of Protection.
- LB Hillingdon v Neary  EWHC 3522 – ECHR. Claim in the Court of Protection.
- R (VC) v Newcastle CC  EWHC 2673 – Support for a family under section 17 of the Children Act 1989 and under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- R (SL) v Westminster CC  EWCA Civ 954 – Accommodation under section 21 of the National Assistance Act 1948.
- Mitu v London Borough of Camden  EWCA Civ 1249;  All ER (D) 10 Nov Court of Appeal – Construction and application of r.8 (2) Allocation of Housing and Homelessness (Review Procedures) Regulations 1999.
- R (MWA) v SSHD and another 2011 All ER (D) 186 (Dec) – Decision of the Administrative Court concerning assessment of age and related issues.
- RK v BCC and others 2011 All ER (D) 28 (Dec) – Decision of the Court of Appeal concerning whether placement arrangements by a local authority for a child constitute a deprivation of liberty.
- Vilvarasa v London Borough of Harrow  EWCA Civ 1278;  HLR 11 Court of Appeal – Discharge of duty under s.193 (5) HA 1996.
- R (oao Ghandali) v London Borough of Ealing  All ER (D) 134 Jul – Local Authority‘s duty to provide accommodation. Medical needs.
- London Borough of Tower Hamlets v Deugi  EWCA Civ 159 – Homelessness appeal. Issue of an authority’s power to withdraw decisions outside of the statutory scheme.
Adrian Davis and Emma Godfrey co-author: the highly acclaimed loose leaf publication ‘Claims to the Possession of Land’; The Practical Law Company’s practice note on Homelessness; and Chambers Housing E-Bulletin.