Christine Cooper has been appointed Crown Counsel for Community Care by the Saint Helena Government and will be away from Chambers until May 2019. Until her return, Christine’s UK practice will be limited to existing matters in the Supreme Court.
Christine is regularly instructed in matters that concern the property and affairs of the elderly and people with disabilities. Frequently these will encompass both public and private law matters where issues of property ownership are combined with those of the duties of public bodies. She is an acknowledged expert in the field of charging for residential care and community care services provided by local authorities and acts both for and against local authorities and care providers.
Her practice also covers the full range of social and welfare issues and she regularly appears in judicial review and Court of Protection proceedings involving vulnerable adults. Recent cases have involved complex questions about capacity, deprivation of liberty and damages for persons kept in care homes unlawfully.
Christine is one of the authors of Dementia and the Law and wrote the chapters on Property and Affairs in the Court of Protection and Funding for Care Services. She is also one of the authors of the loose-leaf work Finance and Law for the Older Client published by Lexis Nexis.
As a qualified Direct Access barrister, Christine will accept instructions from members of the public in appropriate cases.
If you would like any further information regarding Christine Cooper’s practice, please contact her clerks or call +44 (0)20 7405 6114.
- Other areas of practice
- Consumer credit
- Personal and corporate insolvency
- General contract disputes
- Enforcement proceedings
- Notable cases
- Urban Lettings (London) Ltd v London Borough Of Haringey  UKUT 104 (LC) (05 March 2015)
- Brent v Kane  EWHC 4564 (Ch)
- BIM & Ors v MD  EWCOP 39 (30 October 2014)
- AB (Revocation of Enduring Power of Attorney)  EWCOP 12 (07 July 2014)
- London Borough of Haringey v CM  EWCOP B23 (09 June 2014)
- R (on the application of AS) v London Borough of Croydon  UKUT 00609 (IAC)
- Woodblox Ltd v Revenue and Customs Commissioners  All ER (D) 62
- London Borough of Brent v Tudor  All ER (D) 47
- Pall Mall Investments v London Borough of Camden  All ER (D) 281
- R(on the application of TS) v Croydon London Borough Council  EWHC 2389 (Admin)
- WXY v Gewanter and Others  EWHC 1071 (QB)
- Glenfield Motor Spares Ltd v Smith –  All ER (D) 216 (Nov)
- Gill & Others v Darroch & Others  EWHC 2347 (Ch)
- LLM Corporate & Commercial Law (London School of Economics)
- Winner of the Blackstone Chambers Prize for Commercial Law 2006
- LLB Law (First Class Honours)
- Additional professional information
Christine joined Field Court Chambers having retrained as a barrister after almost 20 successful years in the IT industry.