Eleanor undertakes work in a range of chambers’ specialisms, including public and local government and civil. Further details of her work in each of these areas can be found below.
Before coming to the bar, Eleanor spent four years at the AIRE Centre, a specialist legal charity, where she advised and represented individuals in matters of EU free movement of persons, EU social security, and European human rights law, and worked on litigation before the European and domestic courts. Eleanor has also worked as a public policy researcher, with clients including government departments, local NHS bodies and local authorities.
Eleanor is Treasurer and Trustee of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association
If you would like any further information about Eleanor’s practice, please contact her clerks or call +44 (0)20 7405 6114.
- Public and Local Government
Eleanor accepts instructions in a range of public and local government law matters.
Her experience to date includes advising on and acting in immigration and social security appeals before the First Tier Tribunal (AIC and Social Security) and Upper Tribunal (AAC), PII hearings and licensing review hearings. She has worked on community care and Court of Protection cases concerning deprivation of liberty, appointment/removal of deputies, ordinary residence, and breaches of human rights. Recently, she assisted Jonathan Cowan with Re D (a child; deprivation of liberty)  EWHC 922, a case concerning deprivation of liberty of a minor.
Eleanor has a particular interest, and expertise, in cases with a European law dimension, including rights of EEA and third country nationals. Previously, she worked at the AIRE Centre, where she regularly advised and represented individuals on matters of EU free movement of persons, EU citizenship rights, EU social security and European human rights law, and worked on the following notable cases:
• C-400/12 Secretary of State for the Home Department v MG: preliminary reference to CJEU (protection against expulsion)
• C-507/12 Jessy Saint Prix v Secretary of State for the Home Department (AIRE Centre Intervening) – preliminary reference to CJEU (rights of pregnant EEA nationals)
• Ahmad v Secretary of State for the Home Department (AIRE Centre Intervening)  EWCA Civ 988 (comprehensive sickness insurance)
• Saint Prix v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions  UKSC 49
• Patmalniece v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (AIRE Centre Intervening)  UKSC 11 (habitual residence test and entitlement to benefits)
Eleanor has delivered training on rights of EEA nationals for the Immigration Law Practitioners Association and the No Recourse to Public Funds Network.
- Civil law
Eleanor accepts instructions in a wide range of civil law proceedings. She has advised on and appeared in the county court in matters including landlord and tenant law, mortgage possession proceedings, contractual disputes, charging orders, orders for sale and insolvency, and has experience of hearings in the Bankruptcy and Companies Court in the Chancery Division of the High Court.
During pupillage, Eleanor’s supervisors included Adrian Davis, Mark Tempest and Max Thorowgood. With them, she gained experience of property, housing and landlord and tenant law and she maintains a particular interest in these fields. In her previous work as a legal project manager at the AIRE Centre, Eleanor advised on EU law aspects of housing and homelessness law.
- Moriarty and Sibley (2015) ‘Counting the True Costs of s87 of the Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015’ Judicial Review, Vol 20, No.3, 2015
- Contributed to His Honour Geoffrey Rivlin (2015) First Steps in the Law (Oxford, OUP)
- Sibley and Collins (2014) ‘Benefits for EEA Migrants’ Journal of Poverty and Social Justice, Vol 22, No.2, June 2014, p. 165-171
- Contributor to Family Law Week
Bar Professional Training Course, City Law School: Outstanding
GDL, BPP Law School: Distinction
MPhil Philosophy, University of Cambridge (2005-6)
MA Philosophy, Bristol University (2004-5)
BA (hons) Law and Philosophy, University of Cambridge (2001-4)
- Scholarships and prizes
Award for Outstanding BPTC Results, Inner Temple
Major Scholarship for Bar Professional Training Course, Inner Temple
Exhibition Scholar for GDL, Inner Temple
Arts and Humanities Research Council Award for MPhil/PhD
King’s College, Cambridge University Postgraduate Scholarship for MPhil
- Professional memberships
Immigration Law Practitioners Association (Treasurer and Trustee)