Grace undertakes work in a range of chambers’ specialisms including public, property and commercial law.
Prior to joining the English Bar, Grace worked as an Associate at Slaughter and May, where she assisted with high-profile and international commercial transactions and advised clients including the Department of Energy and Climate Change, Moody’s, MTR Corporation Limited, Prada and Standard Chartered plc. She has taught at the University of Oxford, the University of Hong Kong, King’s College London and the University of Warwick and was judicial assistant to the Honourable Mr Justice Blair when he was the Judge in Charge of the Commercial Court. Grace also assisted Professor Ewan McKendrick with the latest edition of Goode on Commercial Law, a widely-used text by practitioners and academics.
Grace obtained a First Class Honours degree in law from the London School of Economics and Political Science and the Bachelor of Civil Law postgraduate degree at the University of Oxford. She is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese and has a working knowledge of French and Spanish, and previously assisted at the World Trade Organisation ministerial conference.
Outside of work, Grace is a great sports enthusiast and joined the University of London Officers Training Corps as an Officer Cadet and has successfully completed the Hong Kong marathon, the 100km Oxfam Trailwalker and the 100 miles Nijmegen March. She was a school speaker for UNICEF and has obtained the ATCL Diploma in piano.
- Notable Cases
Assisted with the following matters at Slaughter and May:
- Advising CITIC Securities Corporate Finance (HK) Limited on the cash offer made on behalf of a controlling shareholder of China XLX Fertiliser Ltd (China XLX) for the shares of China XLX, one of the largest manufacturers of coal-based urea and compound fertilisers in China. The cash offer was made in connection with the proposal to delist the shares of China XLX from the Singapore Exchange, with the shares remaining listed on the Hong Kong Exchange
- Advising China Power International Development Limited, the flagship company of China Power Investment Corporation, one of the five national power generation groups in China, in relation to its issue of RMB 2 billion 4.5% bonds due 2017
- Advising MTR Corporation in relation to the construction and commissioning of the Shatin to Central Link, one of the most significant infrastructure projects to be undertaken in Hong Kong
- Advising an international banking group in respect of the global IBOR investigations, including the Hong Kong Monetary Authority’s HIBOR investigation in Hong Kong
- Advising Cathay Pacific Airways and Swire Pacific Limited on the annual update of their debt issuance programmes.
- Slaughter and May – Associate, Trainee solicitor
- The University of Oxford – Law tutor
- King’s College London – Visiting lecturer
- The University of Warwick – Law tutor
- The University of Hong Kong – Part time lecturer (non-clinical)
- The Honourable Mr Justice Blair, Judge in Charge of the Commercial Court – Judicial assistant
- Professor Ewan McKendrick – Research assistant
- Called to the Bar of England and Wales (Lincoln’s Inn; Member of Denning Society) – 2016
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong – 2013
- The University of Oxford, Bachelor of Civil Law
- The London School of Economics and Political Science, LLB Bachelor of Laws
- The University of Hong Kong, The Postgraduate Certificate in Laws
- Blackstone Chambers Prize for Best Performance in Public Law
- Hogan Lovells Prize for Best Performance in the Law of Business Associations
- Hou De Charitable Foundation Scholarship for the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws Programme
- Joint Hong Kong Law Society / Bloomsbury Books Prize
- The Eastham Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn Pupillage Award)
- Hong Kong Law Society International Bar Association Annual Conference Sponsorship Award
- Hong Kong Law Society Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Conference Sponsorship Award
- International Association of Young Lawyers Scholarship Award
- The Law Society Pro Bono and Community Work Recognition Programme, Silver Award
- The Hong Kong Council of Volunteering Professional Volunteer Service, Gold Award
- Harvard Book Prize
- South China Morning Post Student Linguist of the Year, Special Recognition Award
- The Continuing Triumph of ‘Bright Line’ Rules: Rothwell revisited (2017) 25 Tort Law Review 3
- “You’re fired”: The Blacklisting of Workers in the Construction Industry (2017) 33 Construction Law Journal 403
- E-Money: Evolution or revolution? (2018) 33(2) Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 56
Grace was previously an associate editor of the Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal.
- Cantonese Chinese
- Mandarin Chinese
- Professional Memberships
- The Bar Association for Commerce, Finance & Industry (BACFI)
- Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
- Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)