Richard is a family law specialist who is instructed predominantly in public law care and adoption proceedings and the more complex private law children work.
If you would like any further information regarding Richard Harris’s practice, please contact his clerks or call +44 (0)20 7405 6114.
- Public law: Children
Richard represents local authorities, parents, interveners and children’s guardians at all stages of care and adoption proceedings. Richard acts in cases involving non-accidental injuries and infant death, sexual abuse and chronic neglect. He is regularly instructed in cases involving the Official Solicitor; children who are separately represented from the guardian; concurrent criminal prosecutions; mental health issues; disability in parents and children; special guardianship; contested adoptions; legal and illegal immigrant cases and placement of children outside of the jurisdiction.
- Children & family: Private law: Children
Richard is frequently instructed in complicated disputes, Richard has extensive experience of cases involving fact finding hearings; implacable hostility; the separate representation of children; leave to remove from the jurisdiction; and child abduction (both Hague and non Hague cases).
- Notable cases
- London Borough of Lambeth v JO & Ors  EWHC 3597 (Fam) (31 October 2014)
- M (A Child : failure to comply with Achieving Best Evidence)  EWFC B141 (27 October 2014)
- ZM v AM  EWHC 2110 (Fam) (26 June 2014)
- Milton Keynes Council, Re CM (A Child)  EWFC B88 (05 June 2014)
- R (Mother) v Milton Keynes Council & Ors  EWFC B66 (OJ) (3 June 2014)
- L (A Child)  EWCA Civ 1792. Consideration of the basis of an interim order for contact.
- Richmond v Ballester  EWHC 352 (Fam). Consideration of whether the English Court had jurisdiction to entertain a petition of divorce in accordance with the Domicile and Matrimonial Proceedings Act 1973 and Brussels II.
- Re R (A Child)  EWHC 2018 (Fam). Consideration of whether the English Court had jurisdiction to entertain an application under the Children Act 1989 in accordance with Brussels II.
- Professional activities
- Richard has undertaken lectures and previous Chambers’ seminars on ancillary relief (update and costs) and the Public Law Outline.
- Richard is a qualified Public Access barrister.
- BA, LLB Monash University, Melbourne
- Admission as a Solicitor 1995
- Professional memberships