Christine’s practice covers the full range of social and welfare issues. She regularly appears in judicial review and Court of Protection proceedings involving vulnerable adults.
Important cases have involved complex questions about capacity, deprivation of liberty and damages for persons kept in care homes unlawfully. She also represents claimants seeking damages for human rights breaches, including in the UK Supreme Court in Williams v London Borough of Hackney  4 All ER 396.
Christine spent almost 2 years on St Helena as Crown Counsel for Community Care. During her time there, she gained substantial experience of claims alleging breaches of duties owed by the state to children and vulnerable adults.
She is often instructed in matters concerning the property and affairs of the elderly and people with disabilities. Frequently these involve public and private law issues where property ownership impacts upon the duties of public bodies.
Christine is an acknowledged expert in the field of charging for local authority residential care and community care services and acts for and against local authorities and care providers.
Christine is one of the authors of LexisNexis looseleaf Finance and Law for the Older Client. She also contributed to Dementia and the Law, writing the chapters on ‘property and affairs in the Court of Protection’ and ‘funding for care services’.
Christine has also been appointed as a deputy district judge.
As a qualified Direct Access barrister, Christine will accept instructions from members of the public in appropriate cases.
If you would like more information about Christine’s practice, please contact her clerks or call +44 (0)20 7405 6114.
- R (on the application of Birmingham City Council) v Croydon London Borough Council  EWHC 1990 (Admin)
- Health Service Executive of Ireland v IM & Another  EWCOP 51
- R (on the application of JP) v NHS Croydon CCG and another  EWHC 1470 (Admin
- A Local Authority v CD  EWHC 2943 (Fam)
- Williams & Another v London Borough of Hackney  4 All ER 396 (UKSC)
- Williams & Another v London Borough of Hackney  3 WLR 59 (Court of Appeal)
- Williams & Another v London Borough of Hackney  EWHC 2629 (High Court).
- N v A local Authority  EWCOP 47
- Brent v Kane  EWHC 4564 (Ch)
- BIM & Ors v MD  EWCOP 39 (30 October 2014)
- AB (Revocation of Enduring Power of Attorney)  EWCOP 12 (07 July 2014)
- London Borough of Haringey v CM  EWCOP B23 (09 June 2014)
- LLM Corporate & Commercial Law (London School of Economics)
- Winner of the Blackstone Chambers Prize for Commercial Law 2006
- LLB Law (First Class Honours)