Matthew is a Family Law specialist. He is regularly involved in complex care cases for local authorities, parents and guardians. He has been involved in cases concerning infant deaths, shaken babies, fabricated illness, serious sexual and physical abuse, honour based violence including attempted assassination, forced marriage, unlawful removal from the jurisdiction, serious neglect and cases involving breaches of Human Rights. He has a particular interest in cases where there are mental health issues, completing medical opinions and those which engage the inherent jurisdiction of the High Court.
Matthew accepts instruction in Court of Protection cases and other matters involving the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
Matthew is highly regarded for his diverse style and flexible approach to local authority, parent and guardian work whilst maintaining a reputation for being friendly and approachable whilst robustly representing his clients’ interests.
If you would like any further information regarding Matthew Stott’s practice, please contact his clerks or call +44 (0)20 7405 6114.
- Matrimonial Finance
In addition to his care work, Matthew undertakes work in all areas of matrimonial finance including maintenance, injunctions, financial remedy proceedings and applications by persons seeking to intervene. He also undertakes Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989 and ToLATA 1996 cases.
- Private Law Children
In private law disputes, he represents both parents and Rule 16.4 Guardians. He acts in cases involving temporary and permanent relocation to Hague and non-Hague convention countries. He was Counsel for the Father in the reported case of DS v RS  1 FLR 576 relating to temporary removal to India.
- Matthew is a door tenant at Broadway House Chambers in Leeds. He is a registered and approved Direct Access barrister.
- He is also appointed as an Associate Hospital Manager at SLAM, considering applications by patients under section.
- Matthew is a freelance tutor on the BPTC for the BPP University and is an accredited trainer by the Inns Advocacy Training Council.
- Matthew has also been a trustee of a family charity and been a member of the young barrister committee of the Bar Council. He is a member of the FLBA.
- BA, Victoria University, Melbourne
- PgDL (CPE), University of Westminster, London
- LLM (Intellectual Property), Queen Mary College, University of London
- BVC, BPP Law School, London
- Queen Mother Scholar of the Middle Temple
Away from the Bar and in addition to family life, Matthew enjoys scuba diving and golf. Having grown up on a vineyard in Australia, he continues to enjoy good wine. He speaks reasonable French having undertaken some post-graduate study in France.