Joanna Thom has a mixed practice in civil, family, housing, employment and public law.
Joanna’s has experience in a variety of civil matters includes including in contract, trusts and probate, company and tort law.
Joanna is regularly instructed in housing and property law matters. She advises and represents local authorities, private landlords, tenants and other individuals in contentious and non-contentious matters.
In family, Joanna undertakes both public and private family law and family finance. Joanna has appeared in all tiers of the family court up to the High Court. Her practice includes:
- Care and supervision orders
- Child arrangement orders (live with orders/ contact orders etc.)
- Prohibited steps orders
- Adoption Orders
- Specific issue orders
- Orders under the Family Law Act 1996 (non-molestation orders/ occupation orders), and
- Financial remedy orders.
In employment, Joanna represents individuals in the employment tribunal.
Before pupillage, Joanna worked for various organisations in campaigning and advocacy. She led on communications and acted as a spokesperson for the Fawcett Society, including working with their partners in managing equal pay claim cases. She was also a member of the Senior Management Team for the Centre for Countering Digital Hate where she worked on responses to the Online Harms Bill.
While studying, she enjoyed working as a member of the advocacy committee where she ran moots for other students and oversaw competition teams. She also enjoyed mooting and writing for the student legal paper.
If you would like more information about Joanna’s practice, please contact her clerks or call +44 (0)20 7405 6114.
- Bar Professional Training Course (University of Law) 2019-2020, Very Competent
- Graduate Diploma in Law (University of Law) 2017-208, Outstanding
- BA (hons) in History (Durham University) 2011-2014, 2.1
- University of Law Advocacy Award (2019)
- Lincoln’s Inn Lord Denning Scholarship (2018)
- University of Law Lord Blunkett Award (2017)