We are recommended as a leading set for housing law in Chambers and Partners and The Legal 500.
Our housing group has nearly 20 barristers, some of whom are accredited mediators. Many of our barristers have appeared in the leading cases in this area. Moreover, our public law expertise means that we often act in cases where housing law interacts with equality, human rights, social services and community care law.
Emma Godfrey co-authors the highly acclaimed practitioners’ textbook LexisNexis' Claims to the Possession of Land.
We advise and represent local authorities, housing associations, registered social landlords, private landlords and tenants, in tribunals and courts ranging from the County Court to the Supreme Court. Our work includes:
- Homelessness, Part VII Housing Act 1996 and Part 2 Housing (Wales) Act 2014
- Allocations and Part VI Housing Act 1996
- Judicial review
- Possession and eviction proceedings
- Tenancy fraud
- Right to buy
- Anti-social behaviour
- Unlawful eviction and harassment
- Housing conditions and nuisance
- Houses in multiple occupation
- Service charges and other leasehold matters
- Housing management and policy
We produce regular case analysis and articles. We also offer seminar and training events on the latest developments in housing law.
Notable cases include:
- Abdikadir v London Borough of Ealing  EWCA Civ 979 (failing to notify another authority of out-of-borough placement did not mean review decision was unlawful when applicant had refused the accommodation).
- Patel v London Borough of Hackney  EWCA Civ 897 (intentional homelessness and affordability of accommodation)
- LB v Tower Hamlets LBC  EWCA Civ 439 (CA)
- Tower Hamlets LBC v Ahmed  HLR 16 (CA)
- R (Idolo) v Bromley LBC  EWHC 860 (Admin)
- Yildiz v Hackney LBC  HLR 46 (CA)
- Birmingham CC v SS & SA  HLR 6 (CA)
- R (Kensington & Chelsea RBC) v Ealing LBC  HLR 13 (Admin)
- Gill v Birmingham CC  HLR 29 (CA)
- R (JS & Others) v Sec of State for Work & Pensions  HLR 21 (SC)
- Johnston v Westminster  HLR 714 (CA)
- Charalambous v Ng  3 All ER 814 (CA)
- Royal Borough of Greenwich v Tuitt  HLR 10 (CA)
- Mohammed v Islington LBC  HLR 41 (CA)
- Francis v Brent Housing Partnership Ltd  HLR 47 (CA)
- Mitu v London Borough of Camden  HLR 137 (CA)
- Vilvarasa v London Borough of Harrow  HLR 11 (CA)
- De Winter Heald v Brent LBC  1 WLR 990 (CA)
- Porter v Shepherd’s Bush HA  EWCA Civ 196 (CA) & (HL) (2008)
- Hassan Omar v Westminster CC  EWCA Civ 421 (CA)
- Westminster CC v Morris  1 WLR 505(CA)
- Bristol CC v Hassan  4 All ER 420 (CA)
- Tower Hamlets LBC v Deugi  HLR 28 (CA)
- Tower Hamlets LBC v Rahanara Begum  HLR 9 (CA)
- Banjo v Brent LBC  HLR 32 (CA)
- Griffin v Westminster CC  EWCA Civ 108 (CA)
- Donoghue v Poplar HARCA & Others  QB 48 (CA)
- Burton v Camden LBC (2002) AC 428 (HL)
Read about some of our notable housing cases.
"Field Court Chambers barristers are excellent in the way they research and thoroughly prepare and deal with complex matters". Chambers and Partners 2024.
"a well-respected team with a notable presence in the social housing sector" Chambers and Partners 2024.