Chambers is renowned for its established expertise in housing law. Members have appeared in many of the leading cases in this area and are ranked in both Chambers and Partners and Legal 500.
We provide comprehensive advice and representation to public sector and private landlords and individuals, in courts ranging from the County Court to the Supreme Court, and in all aspects of housing law, including:
- Homelessness, Part VII Housing Act 1996 and Part 2 Housing (Wales) Act 2014
- Allocations and Part VI Housing Act 1996
- Judicial review
- Possession proceedings
- Right to buy
- Anti-social behaviour
- Unlawful eviction and harassment
- Disrepair and nuisance
- Houses in multiple occupation
- Service charges and other leasehold matters
- Social housing fraud
Chambers’ expertise across the spectrum of public law ensures that Members are particularly well-suited to act in cases involving the interaction of housing law with other disciplines such as EU law, human rights, discrimination, community care and social services law.
We frequently provide training sessions and seminars on housing and related topics to audiences including local authorities, private registered providers and private solicitors.
Adrian Davis and Emma Godfrey co-author: the highly acclaimed loose leaf publication ‘Claims to the Possession of Land’ and Practical Law Company’s practice note on Homelessness.
Members of the housing team also write for the Chambers Housing E-Bulletin.
Notable cases include:
R (oao Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea) v London Borough of Ealing  EWHC 24 (Admin)
- London Borough of Southwark v Proktor  UKUT 504 (LC)
- Johnston v Westminster  EWCA Civ 554;  HLR 714
- Charalambous v Ng  EWCA Civ 1604;  3 All ER 814
- Royal Borough of Greenwich v Tuitt  EWCA Civ 1669;  HLR 10
- Mohammed v Islington LBC  EWCA Civ 739;  HLR 41
- Francis v Brent Housing Partnership Ltd  EWCA Civ 912;  HLR 47
- Mitu v London Borough of Camden  EWCA Civ 1249;  HLR 137
- Vilvarasa v London Borough of Harrow  EWCA Civ 1278;  HLR 11
- De Winter Heald v Brent LBC  EWCA Civ 930;  1 WLR 990
- Porter v Shepherd’s Bush Housing Association  EWCA Civ 196 (CA) & House of Lords (2008)
- Hassan Omar v Westminster CC  EWCA Civ 421 (CA)
- R. (on the Application of Chelfat) v Tower Hamlets LBC  EWHC 313 (Admin);  ACD 61
- Westminster CC v Morris  1 WLR 505(CA)
- Bristol CC v Hassan  4 All ER 420 (CA)
- London Borough of Tower Hamlets v Deugi  EWCA Civ 159;  HLR 28
- Tower Hamlets LBC v Rahanara Begum  HLR 9 (CA)
- Banjo v Brent LBC  EWCA Civ 292 (CA)
- Griffin v Westminster CC  EWCA Civ 108 (CA)
- Donoghue v Poplar HARCA & Others  QB 48 (CA)
- Burton v Camden LBC (2002) AC 428 (HL)