Our Property Group is large and vigorous. We believe clients require representation by specialist counsel, carefully selected to meet the particular needs of each case, whose first priority is complete mastery of the brief.
Our work and experience cover a broad spectrum at all levels of call and individual members have particular expertise in the following areas:
- Commercial Landlord & Tenant including:- Business Tenancy Renewals, Dilapidations and Forfeiture
- Residential Landlord & Tenant including:- Possession and Demotion claims, Disrepair, Service Charge Disputes, Lease Extensions, Leasehold Enfranchisement and Right to Manage
- Housing including:- Homelessness and Part VII Housing Act 1996, Allocations and Part VI Housing Act 1996, Judicial Review, Succession, Right to buy, Anti-social behaviour orders and injunctions, Unlawful eviction, Disrepair and Houses in Multiple Occupation
- Co-Ownership Disputes including:- Common Intention Constructive Trusts, Proprietary Estoppel, Trusts of Land & Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 and Schedule 1 Children Act 1988
- Real Property including:- Adverse possession, Boundary Disputes, Rights of Way, Easements, Restrictive Covenants, Rights of Common and Enclosures and Village Greens
- Probate & Inheritance including:- Testamentary Capacity, Undue Influence, Fraud/Forgery, and Family Provision
- Development agreements including:- s. 106, option and overage agreements
- Mobile Homes
- Professional Negligence including:- the liability of professionals for their negligence in dealing with matters in the above areas
The benefit of Field Court Chambers’ multi-practice strength means that the Property Group can draw on the expertise of our other established groups such as Family AR, Company/Commercial, Court of Protection and Public Law to ensure that all aspects of a property dispute are carefully considered; many barristers’ practices straddle these divisions in any event.
The Group meets regularly to hear papers on topics of note presented by members, discuss recent cases of interest in which members have been involved and share knowledge in relation to their current workloads. These meetings deepen and broaden the expertise of the Group across the range of call and actively foster the sharing of knowledge. The group is regularly sought after for its expert CPD-accredited training, workshops and seminar programmes. Members of the team can also deliver bespoke in-house training to law firms and other professional bodies on request.
Max Thorowgood sits as a Deputy Adjudicator to Her Majesty’s Land Registry.
Above all the Group prides itself upon the professional excellence of the advice and advocacy services which its members provide and their practical, facilitative, modern, client-focussed approach to every set of instructions which they receive.