Paula Diaz is an experienced, specialist family law barrister. Her practice is dedicated to public law proceedings relating to children.
Paula has extensive experience of cases involving:
- All areas relating to the making of care and supervision orders.
- Secure accommodation and the deprivation of liberty.
- Protection against forced marriage and FGM.
- Capacity – in relation to children, young people, and adults.
- Unlawful removal from the jurisdiction.
- Placement of children in foreign jurisdictions.
An increasingly significant proportion of her work involves cases of serious harm with parallel criminal proceedings and/or complex medical issues. Paula’s practice also encompasses work in the Court of Protection.
Paula regularly appears in all tiers of the Family Court.
If you would like more information about Paula’s practice, please contact her clerks or call +44 (0)20 7405 6114.
Family & children
Paula is regularly instructed to advise and represent the interests of local authorities, parents, family members and children (both directly or through their Children’s Guardians) in complex and highly sensitive care proceedings. She has extensive experience representing both professional and lay clients in cases involving the following:
- Significant and near-fatal injuries to a child.
- Serious emotional harm and abuse of children.
- Fabricated or induced illness.
- Psychiatric ill-health and vulnerability due to cognitive or mental impairment, including depressive disorders, EUPD, personality disorders and PTSD.
- Forced marriage and FGM.
- Opposition to medical intervention.
Paula is regularly instructed to represent young people and vulnerable individuals in relation to their care arrangements, and to secure necessary support, medical and/or therapeutic treatment or intervention.
Her practice also encompasses cases with an international element, including both the unlawful removal of children from the jurisdiction, and the placing of children in foreign jurisdictions.
- A Child (fact-finding, fabricated or induced illness) (Rev1)  EWFC B17
- SK (Perplexing Presentation/Fabricated or Induced illness : PP/FII)  EWFC 144
- London Borough Of Islington v EV & Ors  EWHC 3240 (Fam)
- University of Kent at Canterbury – English Law and Spanish Law
- Inns of Court School of Law, London
- Family Law Bar Association
- Association of Lawyers for Children
“Everything we always wanted to know about the threshold criteria…” Family Law, co-written with Gaby Posner.