Ryan commenced pupillage in September 2020. In his non-practising six, Ryan focused on housing and property, public law and Court of Protection work.
Prior to pupillage, Ryan worked as a judicial assistant in the High Court Family Division, as well as marshalling for judges in the Employment Appeal Tribunal and Court of Appeal Civil Division.
Ryan has two years’ experience working as an Employment Tribunal advocate, representing respondent clients at preliminary hearings, judicial mediations, and final hearings. Ryan’s work regularly involved:
- unfair and wrongful dismissal
- wages claims (including worker status)
- procedural matters such as strike out, amendments, specific disclosure, costs, reconsideration and restricted reporting orders.
Ryan’s tribunal experience includes successfully defending a client at a six-day trial involving allegations of sex- and disability-related harassment, discrimination arising from disability, and failure to make reasonable adjustments.
He has successfully obtained specific disclosure and adjournment of a three-day trial involving allegations of direct sex discrimination, harassment, victimisation, unfair and wrongful dismissal, leading the claimants to discontinue their claims and going on to obtain a substantial costs order on behalf of the respondent.
Ryan has also worked as a paralegal on personal injury, housing, commercial and other civil matters, and represented clients at County Court application hearings. His work as a paralegal, advocate and judicial assistant gives him well-rounded experience of working with and understanding the pressures on the different professionals within the legal sector.
Ryan accepts instructions in all of chambers’ practice areas.
Bar Professional Training Course (part-time course) (Manchester Law School) (2015-2017) (Very Competent)
LLB Law (University of Liverpool) (2010-2013) (First Class Honours)
- Dean’s Unit Prize for the top mark in Cross-Examination Advocacy (BPTC) (2017)
- Dean’s Unit Prize for the top mark in Criminal Litigation (BPTC) (2017)
- Inner Temple major Exhibition Award (2016)
- Inner Temple Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Award (2016)
- Manchester Law School Scholarship Award (2015)
- Employer Lawyers’ Association
- Social Housing Law Association
- Court of Protection Bar Association
- Family Law Bar Association