Admitted to the Bar, New Zealand 1988 Admitted England and Wales Solicitor 1991
Michael was called to the bar in 2013 having had a long career as a New Zealand barrister and English solicitor. He is able to accept instructions directly from members of the public.
He regularly advises individuals on wealth structuring particularly when migrating to or from NZ or the UK and using the UK and NZ by non-resident companies, private equity firms and individuals as holding structure jurisdictions’.
Michael’s clients include trustee companies and registered New Zealand superannuation schemes.
He completed an LLM (international business law) at the LSE in 1991 and was the principal of Michael Reason & Partners LLP from 1994. He is a regular contributor to international tax and investment publications.
If you would like any further information regarding Michael Reason’s practice, please contact his clerks or call +44 (0)20 7405 6114.
- International Tax and Trusts
He specialises in international tax and trusts and advises clients on matters including:-
- private family trusts in England and elsewhere,
- investment structures holding specific investment property and managed portfolio investments,
- trading structures subject to indirect tax and sourced based direct tax issues,
- implementation of Double Tax Agreements,
- corporate holding structures,
- the establishment and operation of UK sourced pension fund investment structures outside the UK, and
- anti-money laundering regulations
His practice includes contentious dispute resolution especially involving breaches of trust, tax appeals, debt related disputes and business disagreements. He acts for and is a former company secretary of a private education provider and has experience in UK and EU education law and regulation matters and education related VAT exemptions.
Michael advises and acts in a wide range of civil law matters, including landlord and tenant, personal injury, bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings, consumer credit matters, civil litigation and costs matters.
- Privacy Notice